Thursday, March 17, 2011

A 365 Day project?

I want to push myself more.  I feel like I've come a long way just by watercolor journaling  once or twice a week (99% of the time on the weekends).  Can I push myself to daily creativity?  My commitment phobia is ringing in and I shy away.  The reality is I need to keep it simple.  One drawing a day.  If the drawing ends up getting painted, great!  If it gets colored with markers, wonderful!  But it can be a simple as a blind contour.  I love blind contour with with pen.  When I look at some of my drawings from the past year, I realize these were not overwhelming to do, and they helped me to see my subject.








I can keep my drawing as simple as I want, and I can go as complex as I want.  I can show daily progressions on one drawing.  Like the one below I did over 3 days.  How fun it would've been to capture it's 3 stages!

I can do this.  One drawing a day for a year.  Tomorrow I will begin since it's 8:45 p.m. and I'm ready to go to bed.  I will commit!  I can commit!  No excuses about coming home tired after a day of teaching.  Let this be your meditative unwinding activity.

4 comments:

Suspinz: Dabbler in Many Things said...

Good plan! You seem to suffer the same commitment issue I do, including the "tired after a day" problem.

One of my difficulties is deciding what to use as a subject, so sometimes I will think earlier in the day about what I will tackle later on when there is time. It helps me get started. Jane got me thinking about categories of things, too, like shoes, keys, and so on, so I started making lists. There they sit, just waiting to be starters.

I don't draw or paint every day, but do try to do something, even if it's coloring a journal page to work on later. I do like the blind contours you've done here, and especially the cats. You're inspiring me!

Kim Lawbaugh said...

Thank you Sue! I really like your idea of thinking ahead of time. I think your cats would make awesome subjects for blind contour!

Cheryl Razmus said...

Do you have Danny Gregory's "The Creative License"? More ideas in there then you could do in a year. As soon as I stop taking all these classes, I'm going to commit to everyday drawing, too. Right now I'm on the third set of two online classes at a time. I think I overdid it for structured assignments. Best of luck on your goal!

Kim Lawbaugh said...

I do have his book! It's one of the books that has inspired me!