Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lafazio Watercolor Journal Class Week 6: Sketch & Paint Animals

Last week was week 5 and the assignment was to make a box to hold the paintings but since my entries are in my journal I opted out of that.  There was also an assignment to make small on the go accordion books and I made two using the hotpress paper but am not sure how I like the hotpress paper...

So this week was to sketch moving animals. With the wintry weather this weekend I chose to sketch my cats Emma & Ollie. I also sketched a neighbor cat (Stubby) as he sat outside our patio door this morning. He and my cat hang out. He has a rags to riches story! He started out as a kitten in the local lumber yard where people kept trying to hit him with cars. One of the workers (a student's parent) brought him home but they already had 3 dogs and a cat. They never got him fixed and was basically a roaming tom-cat yowling his way through the neigborhood always appearing with cat fight wounds (but he and my cat never had a problem). He was always skinny and rough looking. Then the family moved away and left him behind. Eventually a wonderful family across the street took him in and now he is fat and happy with four adoring girls that dote constantly on him. I'm not too happy with my painting of him, but oh well... Otherwise, I'm content with my pages.

2 comments:

Suspinz: Dabbler in Many Things said...

Love your cats, Kim, and your very clever title, too. You've done a super job getting the texture on Ollie's perch. That Ollie has some personality to him! They probably all do, but I see it most in him. Nice work!

Kim Lawbaugh said...

You got it Sue! Ollie is the one with the most personality. Glad to hear I caught it.