Saturday, November 5, 2011

Laure Ferlita's Artful Journaling - Week 1 Lesson 2: Negative Space

Paint the negative space around an image using our signature color (mine is perylene red)...  I really wanted to do the Golden Buddha from the Golden Buddhist Temple in Bangkok but didn't like the idea of the Buddha being white with shades of red to give it shape, so I decided to paint a background that was a mixture of quinacridone gold, quin. deep gold, raw sienna, and Holbein antique gold (metallic).  For texture I placed a crumpled up piece of plastic wrap on this and let it dry.  I love the background!  The golden Buddha in my original photograph is covered in thousands of small squares of gold sheets that people buy and rub onto the Buddha when they visit the temple.  The picture below doesn't capture the metallic gold sheen of many of the sections.  It was a perfect background color for the Buddha.



Original Photo




1 comment:

Peggy Mascher said...

Hey Kim, this is really neat. In a bit of cross fertilization I and many others are taking Jane Davies Text and Image class and exploring some of the same issues. Love your red! Great work. I've got to get back to using my sketchbook to draw and upload to Flickr but its been all collage, all the time lately.