Saturday, January 29, 2011

Three coffee shops later...

...so I got out today and discovered I really enjoyed just hanging out and sketching and painting in my journal.  Here are the entries...


1st Stop - Walla Walla Roastery - ...crowded this morning but one tiny table was available...


2nd Stop - Colville Street Patisserie - ...not sure about my browns for the cannele - which was a deep brown with golden highlights. I tried Jane's suggestion of incorporating different colors. And I know I spelled "patisserie" wrong!!!! I penciled in my letters but when I got to the first "i" I accidentally inked it in as a "t" - felt frustrated at first but didn't want to mark it out so I just went with the misspelling in order to keep the page looking nice.

3rd Stop - Olive Marketplace & Cafe - By the time I got there I was on a coffee buzz and decided to bring it down with an IPA and a cheese plate. I was going to sketch both the cheese plate and the ale. But when the cheese plate arrived it was incredibly ornate and I felt overwhelmed at trying to capture it in a picture so I settled for sketching and painting my ale (the foam was challenging - I did use table salt to try to show froth that skimmed the top surface) while using the restaraunt logo for my corners and the lettering for the name of the cafe. When I prepared my pages ahead of time - doing the coffee circles like Jane did - a big splat landed in the lower left corner so I decided to use it for my date "box".

No comments: