Thursday, July 21, 2011

Arrowleaf Balsamroot...

...below is the first page in my new Arches Watercolor spiral bound field book.  I decided to to try painting from a photo I took of Arrowleaf Balsamroot flowers when we were in Idaho.  It's okay...I really want to loosen up but I seem to always paint so "tight" and am not sure how to loosen up.  I'm getting ready to head off to the Sitka Center for Ecology & Art on the Oregon coast for two watercolor classes by Molly Hashimoto.  There will be lots of Plein Air work and later in the week we will focus on translating field work to studio work.  When I took Molly's class last year I really liked the looseness of my work.  I'm hoping to reconnect with that feeling.


Here is the work I did in my Arches Watercolor Journal last year when I took Molly's class at the North Cascades Institute:




1 comment:

Suspinz: Dabbler in Many Things said...

I like all your work, apparently, but especially like the landscapes from your class last year. They are, as you say, loose, and also very atmospheric. I get a sense of place that doesn't require tight painting.

Have a wonderful time in your classes. I hope you come home all inspired and "loosened up".